To the friends and family of Doug Cloward

Saturday, April 26, Doug was admitted to the hospital for a severe case of pneumonia. Later he was diagnosed with mantel cell lymphoma leukemia.

We have been receiving many emails and phone calls expressing love and prayers in behalf of Doug. We have set up this blog for updates on Doug's progress. Thank you all for your overwhelming support and care!

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wed Morning: Quiet Thoughts

Greetings,

It was a quite long night. It was restful, but not sleep filled. No pain or anxiety -- contemplation, perspective, and thoughts on the day’s experiences. I am finding myself yearning more each day to express my love for life, for kindness, for people, for service, and for the simple beauties of living. There are have been reflective moments when the veil has thinned, giving me panoramic views that were always there, are always there, if we will look. With those views have come precious understanding about the human family our inner connectedness, and yet a perverse diverseness that divides us from each other. Life has become so very, very simple. Oh, I yearn to have the words to paint the picture of a reality that belongs to each of us, but which we have forgotten in our struggles to be succor and significant. Truly our greatest significance is in our common bond of humanity. Oh, that we would learn.

Yesterday brought three precious moments. During a walk to x-ray, I encountered a little old man and a little old woman, stooped with age and with life -- perhaps in their 80’s. He was holding her hand and smiling gently and walked ever so slowly. I knew that likely before me one or both, would pass—yet there was such joy in their sweetness, in their gentle smile to each other. Then I thought of my own sweetheart, and I smiled. And then standing, looking out the window, I watched the flowering cherry trees as the breeze took the petals to the ground in a ballet of white, flittering beauty. Such a simple view, but such profound beauty. Following the day's transfusions, therapies, meetings with doctors and office coordination, the evening settled with the sun setting, behind my window, on the mountain still covered with snow. The valley lights sparkled brightly. I don’t remember noticing the lights like that before. Bright colored red, green, and blue lights on top of the power station, warning planes away, caught my attention like a child seeing Christmas lights for the first time—awesome, simple, beautiful—they have always been there, but now I notice.

The day ahead: more blood transfusion, but no dialysis. The markers are moving forward positively, the Chemo seems to be doing its job. I will be ready for the rituximab on Friday and likely able to leave the hospital during the weekend. Again, my profound awareness of the many prayers, faith, love, interest reaching hands and hearts that have crossed the miles and the barriers, parted the heavens, secured my health, my family, and I believe, my future, to yet be/do better. Thank you, thank you—my friends and family.

Doug

7 comments:

jrianne said...

It's amazing to read your chipper and upbeat posts about such a trying experience in a life.
Thanks for reminding me to look on the bright sides of it all and to watch for those "moments of perfection" that truly are all around us, but we miss so often in our hurry to the next thing.
I'm happy and relieved to read that it appears you are doing pretty well all things considered. As high school friends with Brytt and Marshyl and knowing how hard it would be on me to be in that kind of situation, I'm just glad to hear you are doing as well as you are for yours and their sake.
Love and prayers from a near total stranger. :)

Laura Harris said...

Hi Doug - I am in awe of your strength and faith. I look forward to attending Dream Team with you. I took a walk today with my dog and I went on a path that I have gone on many times before; but today was different. I looked around much more and saw the most beautiful red cardinal. It is amazing what you can see when you stop and really look at what is around you.
My family and our church congregation are sending you our prayers! Much Love to You and Your Family.

Lisa Klipfel, M.A., MFT said...

Doug, I'm so glad to hear things are turning around and home is around the corner. May the hummingbirds welcome you home...as we know your family will already be waiting for you!!

Lisa Klipfel and family

Kathy Grove said...

Hello friend!

I spent a good part of my morning dreaming, on a 34 acre property with 2 ponds, great fences and a solid barn.

I call your glimpses through the veil, and awareness of your surroundings "cheatin'". While watching my in-laws and parents with my children, I happened to notice a special light in their eyes. Like they were seeing something I wasn't. Then I got it--time is different when your heart is in it, so as often as I can, I cheat the timeline, and look at my kids like a grandparent. Crazy, but I love them so much more.

Love you Doug and Judy :)

Love KathyG

Marshyl said...

Dad,

Once again I find myself at the end of the day settling down to a good read--your blogs and the thoughtful, loving comments of so many caring souls. It's therapeutic for me--sooths my mind and spirit. It's a good feeling and I'd invite all who want to think clearer, live deeper and dream harder to visit your site.

Tonight was a busy night with family responsibilities, church callings, work, and even a bit of time for some men's basketball at the church. I pleased to say I'm getting better at maintaining my 10-15% shooting average and I can go for more than a 15 point game half-court without getting side aches. :) I'm exhausted, but encouraged by your optimism and positive outlook for yourself and life.

Well, I thought I'd make it before zonking out last night, but I guess I exerted myself more than I was able to cope with. It's morning now and I feel renewed and ready for another day of sailing forward in work and life.

I look forward to another great read.

Love your son,

Marsh

Kris &Tiersa LeSueur said...

To My Dear Friend,



It was in a far away place some 38 years ago that our friendship began while we were both anxiously engaged in a work we loved. We are like brothers and so the news of your illness has touched me in a very personal way. I write this short note not to tell YOU of my concern, as we have already visited, but to compliment the many business associates of Heritage Makers who recognize in Doug Cloward the goodness and love you have shared with them. They have written to tell you of their love and concern for you. If I could have audience with all of those associates together for just 15 minutes, what a tale I would tell of this wonderful friend of mine. You and Judy and all of the kids and grandkids are in our prayers. You know I am here and will be there by your side at any time should you call.



Your friend forever,

Vaughn

Kris &Tiersa LeSueur said...

To My Dear Friend,



It was in a far away place some 38 years ago that our friendship began while we were both anxiously engaged in a work we loved. We are like brothers and so the news of your illness has touched me in a very personal way. I write this short note not to tell YOU of my concern, as we have already visited, but to compliment the many business associates of Heritage Makers who recognize in Doug Cloward the goodness and love you have shared with them. They have written to tell you of their love and concern for you. If I could have audience with all of those associates together for just 15 minutes, what a tale I would tell of this wonderful friend of mine. You and Judy and all of the kids and grandkids are in our prayers. You know I am here and will be there by your side at any time should you call.



Your friend forever,

Vaughn