To the friends and family of Doug Cloward

Saturday, April 26, Doug was admitted to the hospital for a severe case of pneumonia. Later he was diagnosed with mantel cell lymphoma leukemia.

We have been receiving many emails and phone calls expressing love and prayers in behalf of Doug. We have set up this blog for updates on Doug's progress. Thank you all for your overwhelming support and care!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tuesday Morning

Greetings!

Good morning family and friends (and any of those who don't yet consider themselves such). Initial testing has returned and confirmed that the more common CLL leukemia has made its first winning battle. But now that we know what we're up against, the battle strategy is becoming quite clear. I remain in the hospital in intermediate care to stabilize blood pressure, eliminate pneumonia, and get rid of the septic blood (strep). They are also working to get the immune system normalized as much as possible to be able to cope with the effects of Chemo therapy.

The first round of Chemo is likely to start before the end of the week. T he only thing they have told me for sure in terms of results and side effects is that I will be joining the group who are no longer contributing to the barber organization. I may invite Krysti to develop a new business model that caters to baldness and head care for that group since I will be joining that rank periodically over the months and years ahead.

There is no known cure for this type of leukemia (blood cancer), however the prognosis is a semi-normal life with rebalancing of the blood system. Chemo will likely change the work pattern a bit. It is my hope to be through the first round and into sufficient energy and lucidity to conduct Leader's Conference, and certainly I will expect to be in full swing and vigor (without other excuses) to conduct our fabulous Reunion in Anaheim.

While my work at the office will mostly be by phone and email for the next couple of months, I will remain focused on communication and future planing for the ongoing development of Heritage Makers. It has become ever so clear that we are at a point that the foundations are fully laid and all further add-ons will enrich the story, mission and vision. In essence, the bulk of the creative side of the business will be firmly in place with occasional enhancements along the way. The scanner system will allow for increased early income to new consultants and accelerates the client's ability to get their projects started and completed faster.

The system seems now to be largely bullet-proof. This now is the time and a phase in our company where early leaders are called to step up and take full advantage of our incredible business and service and to grow their organizations as the mechanism to bring family-saving memories home in print and mothers home to families. I trust that our great early pioneers and leaders will continue to prove the business model as the very best possible for long-term sustainable economic success and personal freedom.

I'll keep you appraised daily on personal progress and business thoughts. I plan to spend my recovery time in writing a book about bringing heritage home, which I believe may be a keystone to our business story.

Onward and Upward!

Doug

10 comments:

Marshyl said...

Dad,

I sure do love and admire you. I can't imagine the difficulty your body is going through right now, but it looks like the prayers and faith are bringing up your spirits and your health--however incremental that may be. We all miss having you here, but are certainly glad that you have such a great hospital staff to care for and assist you back on a path of normalcy--or as close to it as possible.
I did some research on CLL and the prognosis for many diagnosed with this seems promising with survivability rates beyond 25 years . I know that with great care, faith, prayers and blessings that you will be able to carry on for a long time to come.
I'm so grateful to be a part of this family and to be your son. I'm proud to help continue growing this great business along with you. It's inspiring to see that you can still take the helm and lead, motivate and direct--even from a hospital bed. Truly you are one of a kind and absolutely solid gold!
Onward and upward,

Marsh

Delanae said...

You know Doug, you could have just asked for a vacation. :)

Seriously though, Bjorn and I hold you and your family close to our heart and in our prayers.

This is such a wonderful blog and a great way for us to keep up to date on how you are doing. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

Delanae & Bjorn Lindstrom

lepasley said...

Dear Doug,

You and your family are in our prayers. I am a cancer survivor myself having had colon cancer in 2002 when my youngest was only 18 months old. It was a very difficult time, emotionally as well as physically but with faith and alot of patience and love, we made it. I have been cancer free for 6 years!!

You have a wonderful, loving family and they will help you get thru this tough time. You also have a company full of wonderful, loving friends.

Take time to relax and get well soon.

Sincerely,

Laura, Dalton, Tara & Colton Pasley
Dallas, Texas

grammy_amy said...

Hello Bro- Can't seem to catch you by phone but I wanted you to know you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I love my rock.

Cyndee Krumholz said...

I was just looking at your Superman book Judy created for you a few years back. One of the new titles for your Superman Returns book could be; "Above, Beyond and Back"
Have a good day, we are loving you right back.
Hugs,
Cyndee Krumholz

BuildYourHeritage.com said...

Doug,

While I was shocked & saddened to hear news of your sudden sickness, your last post gave me renewed hope again to hear your positive spirits, spunk & drive are still going strong. Leave it to you to not let a little thing like leukemia take you out of the game! HA! Just slow down long enough to let your body catch back up & be sure to listen to those docs (plus Judy & the rest of the Cloward clan)!

We'll do what we need to out here to keep the company going onward & upward! If you need to escape the pressure of HM in Utah, consider spending summer in Iowa...we have incredible sweet corn in July! Remember your last visit? It will be 2 years ago this May! So much has changed since then...not only with the company of course, but on a personal front for me as well – amazing growth & exciting developments for both!

As for that book you're writing, I'd like to get my autographed copy reserved now. Maybe we can have the granddaddy of all book-signing parties at Reunion in September? See you then...I'll bring the pens!

Keep the faith. Keep smiling. Keep us posted!

Yours in story,

Brenda Kruse (BuildYourHeritage.com)
Iowa's First Heritage Consultant

Lisa and Ron said...

We love you, Doug, and can't wait to see you at Reunion!

Remember, "bald is beautiful!" Just ask my dad... :)

Love,
Lisa and Ron Smith
Las Vegas, NV

Heidi@DigitalCandy said...

Doug,
This is Heidi in Calgary, AB Canada - I met you in October during the Spirit tour. I just wanted to send you some love and prayers and know that we are all supporting you and cheering you on. Thank you to the blog writers for keeping us posted as we continue to keep you all in our thoughts and prayers. *BIG HUGS*

Roxie said...

Good Morning, Doug and family,
I'm new to HM, but I've experienced your brilliance with SLAH and in other areas. You inspire us all to greatness. Peace and confidence be with you now as you make this story one for the record books.
With admiration,
Roxie in Denver

Unknown said...

Dear Doug and family,
Hallie Redd, my sister-in-law, gave me the address for your blog. My husband is the longest surviving person with mantle-cell lymphoma that his doctor is aware of. He always told his doctors that he wanted to be the poster patient for this disease. Keep hanging in there. Miracles can and do happen every day. If you ever want to talk with us we would be happy to. My husband's name is Justin and our number is 503-626-4280. God bless you all.

Anna