To the friends and family of Doug Cloward

Saturday, April 26, Doug was admitted to the hospital for a severe case of pneumonia. Later he was diagnosed with mantel cell lymphoma leukemia.

We have been receiving many emails and phone calls expressing love and prayers in behalf of Doug. We have set up this blog for updates on Doug's progress. Thank you all for your overwhelming support and care!

Monday, May 19, 2008

Personal, but not Private: Answers in Hindsight

Greetings again!

I feel great, physically and more. I feel filled with gratitude, clarity and focus on the days and the long-term priorities of my life and our purpose. May I share my weekend with you, up front and personal, to the end that you may find vicarious understanding and clarity in your own life and yearnings? I know I do so at the risk of being misunderstood. Again, this is personal, very personal, but I feel compelled to not keep it private.

One night while laying in the hospital, a simple thought came into my mind briefly enough for me to recognize the thought. It was, Mantle Cell is my friend. That was all. I did not reject the the thought as crazy or ridiculous. I simply acknowledged that the thought had come to me. It had not been created in my thinking process. It had just come. I have come to know that most personal revelation (inspiration - answers to prayer) come in this way. A quiet, simple thought comes and leaves me (us) with the option of what to do with the thought -- accept and consider it or reject and discard it. So, Mantle Cell Leukemia was my friend? The obvious follow on thought was that you do not fight a friend. Rather, you acknowledge and embrace the friend.

I determined that the battle was not against cancer, rather, the battle, quest, was for health. So, I proceed to eat and live as healthy as I know how, without becoming radical nor fanatical. A friend introduced me to a green drink product that Judy and I are now both using and believe it is helping in our race for greater health. As we teach in Dream Team, more clean water, deep breathing, mild large muscle exercise (walking at this point -- next, hiking), good nutrition and adequate sleep, rest and moments of sweet calm stillness. This then is our non-battle with the disease. We'll let all of our combined prayers fight that battle. And in wisdom will work with the doctors' skills for that role in the process. That is the strategy.

The weekend was warm and wonder-filled. Life here on the the mountain is teeming everywhere. The snow is gone at our elevation, the leaves will be out next week and the hummingbirds are returning in mass. Little yellow and white ground flowers are building a carpet of beauty and wonder. If you were here we would lay on our bellies and get our noses close to the tiny miracles of life. Then we would raise our heads (my bald head) and we would hear the songs of the birds as they declare their territorial nesting and feeding rights. And we would laugh at the child-like squabbling of the hummingbirds as they try to exert their claim over the flowers and the feeders. And we would laugh. Remember the HM family invitation for all new Executives to join us here for just such revelry.

Saturday I walked to the knoll behind the lodge and sat facing the sunset over the mountain. It is such a great place to breathe, ponder and pray. And I did.

Then I cranked up one of the ATVs and took Judy for a ride around the area and some brief visits with our maintain friends who were here for the weekend. And we remembered how good it is to have the gift of friends. Then a quiet, simple dinner with my sweetheart, a little eyes gazing, scriptures, prayers and the restful full night's sleep. So good.

Sunday morning brought sweet Sabbath study and a return to our tiny church on the mountain. Hugs and love from friends who had focused their faith and prayers in my behalf these past three weeks overflowed. I taught the priesthood lesson and a joy-filled potluck lunch following the services. Fellowship is healing.

Now for the personal insights and confessions. I hope the openness is not uncomfortable.

For a very long time, years, I have in the private recesses of my thoughts and prayers had concerns over the contributions of my life in contrast to the blessings, talents and my yearning to make a difference. I have often felt that it was just not enough -- on several fronts. And my sins and shortcomings were not other than the general variety that most of us deal with in our fallen, mortal state. Nonetheless, mine haunted me and I worried that they had and were removing me from greater opportunity to serve and make a meaningful contribution. I know that may come across as naive and over zealous, but it is true, I thought, and I worried long and much about it -- particularly during the last year. It was cankering (cancering) my soul.

Simultaneously to this thorn in my heart, I was also heavy with the awareness that I was living largely without joy. That is to say, I was so busy doing the tasks, of admittedly good things, yet lightheartedness (not light mindedness) and laughter and personal play were missing from my life. And therefore I was not able to fully share in the joy of life, even the joy I was striving to create for my family and others. Fishing trips, ATV rides, feasts, lessons, work -- project after project -- task after task, were facilitations to creating joy for others. But I was not smelling the roses. I wasn't pausing enough and partaking of the joy that was all around me. I was always two projects ahead, two days, weeks, months, years of tasks ahead in my mind. I was looking beyond the moment and its own priceless harvest of joy to the creation of the next event. I felt it and my family saw it. I think this sickness of task orientation may affect (infect) many, if not most, men. We are fixers -- next, next, next. Again, I felt the sickness and had been praying earnestly about it during the last several months. I needed healing.

Then came my friend, Mantle Cell Leukemia. And then came yesterday and the night of new thoughts. And it came. The medicine and answers to my honest cries for help both for contribution and for joy had been ever so graciously administered by a loving God in the form of cancer - Mantle Cell. It stopped me, shall we say, "dead in my tracks" (tasks) and held my "busy"ness at bay. It stopped my rush and gave me the ever so needed pause to see and to understand.

And now my understanding and vision is crystal clear. Their is no greater contribution that I can make with my talents, and my time, than that which I am doing in forwarding the cause of heritage making -- practical family history -- and bringing mothers home with the understanding of how to build their children's life foundations and heritage. It is enough and more. I shall not want more than you, my Mantle Cell friend.

In the quiet moments in the hospital and more since as I have begged for forgiveness of the impact of the rush of my life on my sweetheart -- as I have gazed in her eyes, held her close, walked hand-in-hand and talked, really talked and really listened -- as we have pondered our future and its uncertain days and trials -- together, I have found the joy I had passed by and that now I savor and live for. Now I see, feel and have found the joy that is all around me and I will not miss again partaking in the feasts I help to create. Nor will I be slow to cherish the feast of life the Lord and others set before me. And I will become as a little child, filled with amazement, life, trust and joy. Thank you my friend, Mantle Cell. And thank you dear Father for the answers to my needs, my weakness and my pleas.

And thank you for allowing me to share. In the sharing, there is further healing. And I sincerely hope that for those who read, they may find, vicarious healing, meaning and answers and direction for the balm so readily available to each of us.

I do so look forward to the continuing gifts of my new friend and companion for all he has to teach me. And with His and your permission, I look forward to sharing that journey and adventure with you.

Onward and Upward!

Love - Doug

9 comments:

Andrea (Annie) said...

Doug, thank you. Thank you for sharing your amazing insight and personal feelings with all of us. Just yesterday my world came crashing in on me and I felt that what I was facing would be too much to handle. You and your experiences have given me much hope to be able to face my very difficult challenge with added strength. I am so grateful to be a Heritage Maker and for the opportunities I have had to share my feelings about HM with others. I look forward to being able to go to Dream Team one day and visiting with you. Thank you again for everything, your words were exactly what I needed to hear today.
Andrea Hamblin, Heritage Maker, Idaho Falls, Idaho.

Lisa said...

Doug,

I completely understand and appreciate your blog posting today! You may remember during dream hearing me talk about growing up on a farm and living with two workaholic parents (particularly my dad) and just wishing for them to have “normal” 9-5 jobs. Looking back they were not necessarily workaholics, but more focused on success and providing for our family. It is honorable, but sometimes hard to distinguish as a child. I would LOVE the winters when my dad had all the time to just play games with us and teach us how to build a fire (it lasted a month or so), then DREAD the summer time of never ending chores and work that would make everyone on edge, tired, and just left without the energy to even eat dinner.

When you said “your friend Mantel Cell” I immediately thought of our families “friend” - my dad’s brain tumor (gone now). When my dad was diagnosed with Acoustic Neuroma (a tumor that wraps around the nerves in the ear that connect to the brain) and immune disease called Cyclic Neutropenia all in the same week our life came to a crashing halt. My invincible tough guy farmer dad was in ICU at UC Davis in California for over a month and even contracted spinal meningitis after his surgery. He was out of commission for nearly a year. Our family was in shock, how could this happen to the guy that can do anything, is never sick, and works so hard? How will the farm survive, who will take care of the orchard, the irrigating, the tractor work? With over 150 acres of land that only HE knew how to take care of we all looked at each other with ?? in our eyes! We realized things had to change.

But that was just it – it WAS a gift to us! After his surgery, his battle to live, his long recovery, he found himself all over again. We have a new dad, a dad that I can talk to about anything even in the rush of summer and he will stop right in his tracks to listen and to counsel. He finally started traveling and spending more time with my mom, he bought that ski boat and that fishing boat he always wanted. He talks about hiring out more work and only doing what is necessary for HIS skills – no need for him to be spraying the fields at 2am!! He is happier for it and his business has exploded in success because of it! My mom and he have just now opened their own winery (a long time dream of theirs) it is amazing successful and wonderful! This was all because he had a huge reality check. For some people reality checks can be a small hiccup and they get us back on track, for others it takes stripping us down to our most vulnerable place in life in order to hear God telling us to slow down!

If I were you I would take this challenge He has given you as not only a wake up call, but somewhat of a compliment. He only gives these BIG wake up calls to the strongest of the strongest, the busiest, most successful, and to those that need to see what they have been blessed with. All of these things are wonderful things to have to be “woken up to”.

I have thanked God many times for the gift he gave our family, of course hind sight is 20/20 and in the moment I was scared, mad, confused and wondered WHY? But after the dust settled and I saw the person my dad had become and the bond it brought to our family, I am grateful as will you and your family. You will see the people in your life in their true colors, you will learn who your real friends are, and you will realize the wonderful impact you have made on some many. You will feel the love.

Congratulations for discovering this during your recovery, usually it is much later, and after much strife – you will enjoy the journey now and you will know why you have to overcome this struggle. You know why you have to fight! The battle will be easier now and you have your open heart, open ears, and faith to thank for that.

With love, Lisa Freudenburg, Mesa AZ

Nicki Henne - Lifestyle Photographer said...

Hi Doug,
I had the pleasure of meeting you a little less than a year ago in the Thousand Oaks area of California. I had JUST started my career with Heritage Makers and was very inspired by listing to you speak.
I am writing for two reasons.

The first is, I, like may people read the bog you post daily and wanted you to know that even though many are reading and only a few reply, know that your words are reaching and touching so many!

The second reason is that I have a very good friend who is participating the the Leukemia and Lymphoma triathlon on June 6th in Maui. She asked us to send her the names of people we know who have battled or who are battling these cancers so she can honor them by writing their names on her jersey. I am writing to let you know your name as well as the name of my 6 year old nephew - Ethan will be proudly displayed on her Jersey!

I will close this message with the words I borrow from Ethan - who is a HUGE Buzz Lightyear fan...

To Recovery...and Beyond!
Nicki Henne

Jennifer Knight said...

Doug, it is so weird that you say this, because this last few weeks as I have read and learned and grown from your postings, I thought, "Why did Doug have to go through this for ME?" I feel like all of us, especially HM Leaders, have been too task oriented, not living life enough, and your friend has given us all a wake-up call.

I felt guilty like somehow Heavenly Father was using you to teach me, and wished I had listened to other lessons the spirit tried to teach me, and in my mind somehow that would have spared you a visit from your friend. I was thinking a little too highly of myself!

So, I am glad to know that I wasn't the only one needing to learn that lesson. Thank you for sharing these insights with us. I am working less, and hopefully more effectively, and playing with my kids more! You are inspiring others to action.

I will see you at Dream Team soon!

Jennifer Knight

Unknown said...

Dear Doug,
How I love to read your posts! Emotion wells up inside and I fight to contain it. Your post today parallels with a book I'm reading, "The Holy Secret" by James L. Ferrell (an author I highly recommend) that I couldn't help but put the two together with my own experience with my husband last year of watching him stare death in the face and come away from it with a different view of life. I believe this is where the emotion comes from while reading your posts and the faith and strength you have received during this experience. How grateful I am for your willingness to share this with us. This is truly what HM is about. Sharing the stories, lessons learned, faith gained and life lived is the "good stuff" of life. Thank you.
Debie Adams

Anonymous said...

Doug,

It has been a long time. I "accidentally" (I don't believe in accidents) happened upon your blog from a trackback to my blog from a consultant's blog. I am sad to hear you are facing difficulties with your health - but your attitude as always is inspiring and remarkable. Please know you and your amazing family are in our thoughts and prayers. You have made a difference in so many lives by just being you (mine is counted among them)... Your open words today were inspiring and I am grateful to have found you again. All the best to you and yours...

Kayla Lamoreaux

Lisa Klipfel, M.A., MFT said...

Your insight is always inspiring, always spoken concisely. I believe we all feel we can do more, and perhaps that is why I have turned from my education and training-a dream that seemed so clear but left me wandering an uneven stone path into weeds starting to grow to my knees. Since dream team, my path is more clear, despite the rocks I climb, despite the mountain I may be climbing, as the mountain air is clean and fresh, the sky is of a beautiful blue and I hear the flurry of birds as I awoke this morning.

As I talk amongst my HM friends, we are not only inspired by you, but of Judy who is so gracious, loving and giving. And Bryndi, who cares enough to retell anyone's story so delicately (and with kleenex). Brytt, whom I wish I could record and replay when explaining whatever new comes out with HM. And Marshyl, who's posts have become just as touching as your's.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Lisa Klipfel and family

Cyndee Krumholz said...

To Doug and his wonderful family, we are so blessed to have all of you and the contributions you all make everyday to Heritage Makers. We are believers and I, like the others read your daily posts and admire the strength and courage you relay to us. As we approach Father's Day, I would like to share my experience from last Father's Day.
I wrote a Father's Day book for my Dad last year and mailed it to him in plenty of time to arrive for his big day. I hadn't heard from him and I contacted one of my brothers who I had lost touch with six years ago. My brother answered the phone and we caught up on each other's news like we had just seen each other yesterday. I told him I made a book for Dad and wanted to know if he received my package. He said, "Oh my yes, it was delivered the day Dad was moving and he brought it over to show me". My brother said he sat down to read my book and in his words, he told me he had a difficult time reading the book, because tears were streaming down his face. Every sentence went ting, ting and pulled at my heart. He handed the book to his wife and went outside to pull himself together and told her; "You have to read this". He told me it was amazing, and his son wanted to sit down and read the book too, and then started asking his grandpa questions about his stories in the book. My brother never knew the stories that were told in the book and he said to me it was beautifully written and he could only imagine how long it took to write.
We grew up in different families and haven't shared a lot of years together, and as we reminised about the good times and our favorite memories, we laughed and cried as we shared the precious memories we have had together. Teddy then told me; "I have missed you, you've always been a very important part of my life, and I love you". I was touched by his comments and told him he was very special to me. So, even though I hadn't heard from my Dad as to whether or not he liked his book, he gave me a special gift that Father's Day, by sharing the power of story with my brouther. I know it won't be another six years before I talk to Teddy because we found each other again.
By the way, my Dad was so touched by his Father's Day book he took it to his WWII reunion and shared his memories with his veteran friends.
I remind myself, I am a Heritage Maker and I have just connected with a young woman who can't wait to write a book of her father's stories he told to her children before he died. We are on a path that leads us somewhere new everyday.
"The sunset of a beautiful past is the sunrise of a bright tomorrow"
Hugs, know you are loved and you are in our prayers
Cyndee Krumholz-Founding Consultant-Valley Center, CA

Marshyl said...

Dad,

It's been a few days since I've had the chance to respond. My days of late are filled with work and more work--squeezing in just enough time to let my wife and kids know I'm alive and still care deeply for them. The gap is narrowing though and I look forward to evenings spent in thoughtful conversation and star gazing with my own sweetheart.

The new agents are very bright and pick up quickly! While I think I need one or 2 more to get us fully on track and in a more positive direction down the road, there are indicators that the staff hired are taming the delays beast. Yahoo!

Once again, it's a Wed night and after a hard late night of men's basketball and a good shower, I'm wide awake and working, but I thought I'd pause to digest and enjoy your wisdom gourmet.

I think each day of how easy it is to slip and fall when your shoelaces remain untied, but it's that little extra effort of tying them into a double not that makes all the difference in the world. 'Course, each day you have to begin anew--putting on the shoes again and remembering to tie that double not because it's so easy for something catch the lace and untie it or because it wasn't properly secured in the first place, it easily loosens and before you know it your walking, stumbling, then falling on those darned laces.

Of course this is just an analogy, but it parallels how I've viewed my own life. It's so easy for the adversary to untie our spiritual and temporal laces if we procrastinate the effort to secure our beliefs, testimonies, love and compassion. Often I've found myself just getting by day to day with as minimal effort as possible because I was too caught up and fatigued of the reality of a busy adult life.

Over the past 8 months or so, I've decided I'm going to start making an effort to better secure those spiritual laces--realizing that sometimes I may forget to double know them--but feeling gratitude that the Savior will let me try again each day until it becomes habit. Many things in my life that I put off, I started putting on and many other areas that were keeping me from progressing, I've fought hard to break so progression would have a chance.

I'm glad to say that I'm seeing improved results day to day as I read my scriptures with my family and myself, remember my prayers, speak more softly, try to let little things be little things and focus on establishing peace within my own tribe and my soul. I've also tried to improve my physical well being by exercising a bit more and living a more responsible and healthy lifestyle--of which I am also seeing the fruits of my efforts.

This is not to say that I haven't been tried and tempted and that my laces have become loosed because of idleness--on the contrary, each day is a battle to keep the minions at bay, but I am recognizing more easily the pitfalls setup by Satan and I am able to resist and avoid more courageously. I have a ways to go yet and more to forgive and be forgiven for, but this sometimes cold, hard heart of mine is softening to make more room for His spirit.

While you were in the hospital I shared the insight that the most important thing in this life is to live worthy so that we can be reunited as family again in the immortal realm. Truly, this is the plan of happiness, for when are we most genuinely happy?--when we are with those we care for and love the most! What a gratifying and humbling feeling to know that all is not lost in the end, but if we are prepared we shall not fear! Being with the ones you love for eternity is worth forsaking every sin and striving to live worthy to the end!

The conversations, company and time together here is so precious and seems so few, but worth every second. I hope to have many more such occasions in this life and look forward to gatherings that are whenever and forever in the life to come!

I pray that we all can double not our spiritual and temporal laces that we stumble less and run more.

Onward and upward!

As ever, proud to be Your son,

Marshyl