To the friends and family of Doug Cloward

Saturday, April 26, Doug was admitted to the hospital for a severe case of pneumonia. Later he was diagnosed with mantel cell lymphoma leukemia.

We have been receiving many emails and phone calls expressing love and prayers in behalf of Doug. We have set up this blog for updates on Doug's progress. Thank you all for your overwhelming support and care!

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

P.S. from Judy…all is WELL

When Doug left for work this morning, he said to me, “I haven’t felt this good in two years!” He has a high tolerance for pain. I guess that tells you how he’s felt in the past. But today is a good day and we are trying harder to live healthy and well.

I have a confession to make…I’ve never been on a blog before, let alone know what one was! I wasn’t able to check out all of Doug’s blogs until now. Boy, have I missed out! I just posted my first comment and it was much easier than I thought! I plan to submit more comments in the future. I’m sure glad Doug is sharing some of the marvelous healing insights he has been having.

I’ve heard through the HM grapevine that people are wondering how Doug’s wife is faring the Mantle Cell storm. I agree with Doug. Mantle Cell is my friend, too. The first 2½ wks were a stretch for all of us. We thought we had lost Doug three times. Certainly I have had my “I’m too young to become a widow” thoughts and “Where are all of the important papers?” and “Where’s my list of what to do?” etc etc etc. But through it all, all is well, all is right. Our family has felt your prayers and faith on our behalf – a balm so desperately needed and so generously given. Thank you for your love and support!

Doug has had symptoms for about a year now, progressively increasing these past six months. His energy level was decreasing, though his Heritage Makers pace remained the same. When he was in the hospital, I had the strong impression that had he have heeded our pleas to get checked out much sooner, he may not have known the whole story and may have continued life as normal. I am so grateful for the wake-up call. Through it all, I have gotten my Doug back, the one I fell in love with 36 years ago!!! We gaze in each others’ eyes more, we dance more, we listen more, we speak in softer tones, our prayers have penetrated the heavens, our faith has increased and we are SO grateful for every moment, hour and day that we still have together. Please make sure you hug those you love and tell them you love them, every day. When it comes down to what’s really important, it’s not things – it’s people. Let them know how their lives have enriched yours. Make each moment count. We do and will continue to.

I am amazed at how creative storycards and storyposts can be! When thoughts are expressed through the written word, they can be reviewed, remembered and can literally heal a broken heart, give strength to the weak and renew love, again and again and again. It’s a written thought expressed that keeps on giving every time it is picked up and read. I hope you realize what a gift you have to give to others by offering them Heritage Makers.

Today’s blog from Doug is a great example of that. He is journaling his life-changing experiences and thoughts through story. It is strengthening our family in times of weakness and putting smiles and chuckles in our day. We can now make these thoughts permanent, through Heritage Makers. Our children will know what our family values and treasures most and can reread and retell these sacred moments with their children. Heritage Makers helps bind a family’s heritage through story. What a life-changing, timely concept!

As for our love story…my next post will be the “rest of our story.” Truly, a dream come true!

Love to you all! Judy

4 comments:

Kathy Grove said...

Judy,

I will be quoting you directly from this blog!!

And I agree with you about the WHEN of it all. The cancer is rarely found before stage 3 or 4, and I hate to think of the moments gone and not seen through God's eyes had he gone on as "usual".

Heavenly Father has put him here to be a voice--those gifted as wordsmiths are so important, because they can articulate what we can only feel in our hearts, and see in our mind's eye. You too Judy--thank you for sharing your insights! We all love and care for you so much!

Love love love KathyG

Shirley Lee said...

I am so looking forward to "the rest of the story" - I anxiously look each day for more insight into your lives and love. I feel as though I am being allowed to share in your lives, recovery and love. Thank you for sharing and letting us all be a part of your display of strength and willingness to grow in times of distress.

:) Shirley Lee

Unknown said...

Judy,
Dear friend, you are in my thoughts each day and I thank you for joining in the blog. We have all ached to know how you are and not surprised to find you as strong and loving as we always knew you to be. Hug Doug for both Norm and me.
Barbara Jack

C said...

Dear Doug, Judy, and family,
after my mom, Lynda, met Marshyl and Brytt in the store a couple of days ago, I searched for a Cloward blog, just in case there was one. I was happy to find that I could read and learn how Doug is doing, and learn things from him as well. (Doug, you are inspiring.) Our prayers are with your whole family while you are facing this challenge together. And thank you for your friendship over the years! We think of you often.
~Doug and Christy Whetten, Mexico