To the friends and family of Doug Cloward

Saturday, April 26, Doug was admitted to the hospital for a severe case of pneumonia. Later he was diagnosed with mantel cell lymphoma leukemia.

We have been receiving many emails and phone calls expressing love and prayers in behalf of Doug. We have set up this blog for updates on Doug's progress. Thank you all for your overwhelming support and care!

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Thursday Morning.

Greetings Heritage Makers,

From the Intermountain Regional Medical Service Flagship, anchored in Provo Bay, I bring you salutations! With a room upgrade with a porthole view directly out to East Bay where the Heritage Makers Yacht (for Dream Team members it is Y.O.T.) is anchored, I wish I could say that this tour was resulting in a recommendation for our next TAC trip, however, my experience with the cabins has been lest then favorable. The service ratio has been acceptable; however, the galley is deplorable. The onboard entertainment is left to the cries, gowns, bells, mornings, flashings, and occasional nurse’s desk laughter. When the stethoscope clad cruise directors make their rounds, it is not a laughing matter. The adult humor is largely limited to potty talk and urination frequency/color. It’s a real joke. The bartenders keep me supplied with a constant flow of steroids, insulin, and caustic drinks, not on the “recommended list." (I don’t think they would be legal on the outside. All these legal drug pushers are friendly, concerned, and willing to take payment on the backside -- if there is one.) Respiratory Therapist pipes don’t contain crack or other contraband, as far as I know. But seem to keep my air pipes moving. Such it is on the Goodship Provo

New news today redirects the initial prognosis from CLL to either Mantle or Marginal Cell Lymphoma. We should know which port-of-call we are headed for before the end of the day. Each with its own unique offering from the Chemo bars. Spirits are up, hopes are high. We receive your faith and prayers with gladness. Wish we could give you a hug, look forward to the time we can. Keep the faith, spread the heritage, send the cards, recruit the next generations of Heritage Makers.

More at the next port…

Love,
Doug

(We sent Mom home so she could have some moments with the washer. She is our Editor! So--the grammar/punctuation/spelling on this post, are all brought to you by Bryndi! Ha, ha, I know, it is very sad! FYI, Dad is not kidding about the potty jokes! Good times!)

Ed. Note: Today is May 26th. I am now reading all of Doug's blogs and trying to make them more readable, including this one...ha, ha! (I will add my two cents soon, I promise! ) So much has happened so fast and my heart is so full...thank you ALL for your love and prayers and faith! Through it all, I have gotten back the man I fell in love with 36 years ago! I am so grateful for life and all the wonderful people who continue to bless our lives. Every day is precious. Make each day count. And make sure you tell those you love that you love them. This journey has truly been a blessing in our lives. We are trying to LIVE one day at a time and fill our lives with more joy and health which brings more wonder and delight. "For with God, nothing is impossible." Miracles have not ceased! Life, itself is a miracle. Treasure it, "for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also..." Aren't families GREAT!!! And to be part of the Heritage Makers family is incredible! I sure love my wonderful, thoughtful husband, Doug and I'm so grateful for every day I can share with him.

Forever 'n' Ever! Judy

5 comments:

WendyLee said...

Doug,
I am so glad to see you in good spirits. I love your messages in our newsletters and this is no exception. My continued prayers are with you and your family as well as the medical personnel that are tending to you.

Much love,
Wendy L. Clifton
A Dimond in the rough

Andrea (Annie) said...

What a treat to read this post. So good to hear the humor in your situation. We are all thinking of you and pray for continued success as you have this experience. Thank you for your up-beat spirit and for your example of faith. We are grateful to have you as our "hero". Thank you!
Andrea Hamblin
Consultant in Idaho Falls, Idaho.

noewoman said...

Doug,
I took a break from helping my husband with his recuperation from minor surgery, and was stunned to read of your health challenges. Please know that we in Chicago send our thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Thank you so much for Scan Party! I am trying to quickly get up to speed, as this is the bookend I was waiting for - the other being my plans to teach life-story writing.

Hospitals are like London: you don't go there for the food. If it was really good, people would WANT to be there!

Viki Noe Chikow
Consultant
Chicago

Marshyl said...

Dad,

It's good to see the witty humor come out during these times. What a great read. Things continue to be very busy at work and we are continuing recruitment efforts and keeping the ship sailing.
I hope you know how much you're loved and respected and even though you are in circumstances where your stature is diminished your spiritual and mental remain unparalleled.
So many of us are anxious to get you better soon and have you back with us. You are a big part of so many lives and not just a friend, but a father to many.
I continue to pray for your success and renewed health in this battle. You can fight and win!
Love you much. Pray for you always.

Marshyl

Jen Carpenter said...

Doug,

Hello there! I am glad to see you are doing well and your spirit is in tip top shape! I want to let you know that my prayers are with you! You continually are an inspiration in my daily life, and keep me moving forward in all that I am doing! Thank you for your humor, and keep those nurses on their toes!

Much love,

Jen Carpenter